Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Why would a board be nailed on top of a coffin?

My uncle recently passed away. We stuck around after the funeral as was puzzeled when the caretaker got in and nailed a thin board on top of the coffin. Everyone was already upset and I did not want to ask why.....does anyone know why this was done?Why would a board be nailed on top of a coffin?
I am so sorry for your loss!





The coffin is usually put inside a ';rough box ';underground. The bottom and sides were already in the ground, Then they lowered the coffin into the box and then they nail the lid on.


This protects the coffin and gives it extra support underground, It is normally done after the family has left the cemetery.Why would a board be nailed on top of a coffin?
I have never heard of this, I just thought they closed the casket. I would be asking the caretaker why he did this. This really puzzles me. If you find out and dont care to let us know what the reason was ok. Sory for youre loss.
I believe it is just to secure the casket and nothing ghoulish.
I'm sorry for your loss. Unless it was some sort of brace or handle for him to lower the coffin into the grave, I don't know any other reason.
To keep the dirt and bugs off of him

No comments:

Post a Comment